Aquarium Working Group (AQWG)
The Aquarium Working Group currently has the following focus groups: Jellyfish Husbandry FG, Native Seahorse FG, Native Skates and Rays FG, Welfare FG (including Big Fish FG) and Nitrate FG. For information and outputs from past focus groups such as Touchpool FG, Vendace FG and Cephalopod FG, see AQWG Minutes and Resources.
The aquarium working group is also responsible for organising the Annual National Aquarium Conference. To see presentations from previous conferences, click here.
To download the Aquarium Working Group poster, click here.
The Aquarium Working Group's objectives are:
- Creation of a Focus Group to standardise care and improve breeding and rearing for native seahorse species: Hippocampus hippocampus & H. guttulatus among the UK aquarium community.
- Creation of a Focus Group to improve and promote good record keeping and provide better guidelines for husbandry of native skates and rays in UK aquariums. To raise the conservation profile of these animals within our collections to our visiting public.
- To prevent the fish-keeping public from purchasing fish that grow too large for home aquariums and investigate the potential for legislation to curb the importation of these species.
- Creation of a Focus Group to improve our understanding of the husbandry and welfare of Giant Pacific Octopus in UK collections.
- To hold two meetings per annum for the Aquarium Working Group.
- Continuation of the Focus Group on Jellyfish husbandry
- To provide support to the Plant Working Group in the creation of the aquatic plant component of the horticulture unit for the ANCZMA Keepers Course
Co-Chairs: James Wright - National Marine Aquarium and James Robson - Sealife London
Treasurer: Karen Tuson – Bangor University
Oliver Buttling - Bournemouth Oceanarium
James Robson - Horniman Museum
Kate Buss - Sparsholt College
Olivia Orchart - Bristol Aquarium
Jonny Rudd - Bristol Zoo
Main Contact: Rachel Jones, [email protected]