Senior Animal Keeper
Calderglen ZooScotland Closing date for applications is: 26th Jan 2020
|Contact:||Natalie Martin ([email protected])|
Please note this is a permanent curatorial role. Hours are 35 hours per week. Salary is £17.55- £18.06 per hour.
An opportunity is available for an enthusiastic energetic individual to join our team at Calderglen Children’s Zoo in East Kilbride near Glasgow.
Calderglen Children’s Zoo is a small thriving attraction with over 148,000 visitors annually. We would expect the successful applicant to share our vision of a modern small zoo and to be instrumental in moving us forward.
As members of the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA), we are committed to providing an excellent customer experience within the framework of welfare and education.
Calderglen Zoo is part of South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture Ltd.
To manage the day to day operation of the zoo, including animal welfare and conservatory management and ensure effective implementation of SLLC’s Business Plan and Strategy, through the management of resources in order to provide an excellent quality service to our customers
- Develop and implement service plans to meet customer and organisational expectations and requirements.
- Develop and implement new and innovative projects within the animal collection to increase awareness of the collection
- Ensure the legislation requirements of the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA), including the legislative requirements of the Zoo Licence
- Management of Health and Safety legislation
- Prepare, implement and monitor a structured programme of events, responsible for the promotion and marketing of educational activities and events.
- Plan, monitor and evaluate the establishment and management of animal population, animal diets and feeding regimes.
- Management of the budget, controlling expenditure and maximising income.
- To liaise with all areas of the business both internal and external partners, where appropriate represent the service on working groups.
Qualifications required: Degree in Animal Science or minimum DMZAA.
As part of our approach to good practice and safer recruitment we carry out a number of pre-employment checks for example, Identity, Asylum and Immigration and employment history etc.
This post is excepted in terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 2003.
This post is considered Regulated Work with Children, under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act, 2007. Therefore, it is an offence to apply if you are barred from working with children.
Preferred candidates will be required to join the PVG Scheme, or undergo a PVG Scheme Update check, prior to a formal offer of employment being made by South Lanarkshire Council.
Apply for this job:
More details and please apply online through My Job Scotland: