The fire broke out in the early morning of Saturday, September 24 last year, with the cause believed to be an ‘electrical fault.’ The blaze completely devastated the room which housed reptiles and fish. Despite efforts to rescue them, many died. The local community quickly rallied together and helped to clear up the fire-damaged room. Now, thanks to the efforts of local people, the education room has been fully refurbished and opened on February 11.
Owner of Mablethorpe Seal Sanctuary, Dennis Drew, has praised the community for its help and support. He said: “I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped us get back on track so the education room could be re-opened quickly. “Without the support, it wouldn’t have been open this soon. “Everyone helping to build the room back up has been amazing, especially fundraising efforts by Dave’s Diner and joiner Derek Hollingsworth, “
The room has undergone a complete transformation and Mr Drew believes it is better than it was before. He added: “The education room now sees a completely different set up and it looks ten times better than what it did before. “We’ve got new fish, reptiles and a lizard in there. They are are already part of our family and seem to be settling in nicely.”
Read more at: http://www.louthleader.co.uk/news/mablethorpe-seal-sanctuary-education-room-re-opens-1-7835217
NewsBIAZA Member Update – COVID-19 26th March, 2020In light of the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic BIAZA is collating all resources to provide support so that our members can continue to deliver the highest…
NewsBristol Zoo’s vital role in saving endangered spiders 14th March, 2020Bristol Zoo Gardens is involved in an international programme to save critically endangered spiders.
NewsChester Zoo experts save tiny snails from extinction 10th March, 2020A group of tropical snails, believed to be extinct for more than 15 years, have been released back to the wild by conservationists at Chester Zoo.