Our Vision and Mission
To be a powerful force in the care and conservation of the natural world.
BIAZA is a professional organization which represents its members and promotes the values of good zoos and aquariums. It leads and supports its members:
- to inspire people to help conserve the natural world
- to participate in effective cooperative conservation programmes
- to deliver the highest quality environmental education, training and research
- to achieve the highest standards of animal care and welfare in zoos, aquariums and in the wild.
We believe that:
- the natural world is intrinsically precious and the biodiversity of animals, plants, habitats and people must be sustained and protected
- zoos and aquariums are uniquely placed to inspire and educate people to understand the interdependence of all living things, and to make changes in people’s behaviour which will have a positive impact on wildlife
- through integrated science, education and conservation programmes, zoos and aquariums can be a powerful force for wildlife conservation
- the global network of zoos and aquariums enables effective partnerships with each other, as well as with governments, other conservation agencies and local communities at home and overseas
- we can ensure that our members deliver the highest standards of animal welfare, as well as excellence in environmental education, scientific research and visitor experience.