The British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) is the professional body representing the best zoos and aquariums in the UK and Ireland. We have more than 100 zoo and aquarium members whom we support in their commitment to be at the forefront of conservation, education and research.
These days’ modern zoos and aquariums are much more than places where the public can go to view a range of different animals. Whilst providing a safe and fun-filled family day out is something our members are understandably proud of, by displaying the BIAZA logo our zoos and aquariums are also demonstrating their dedication to conserving the natural world through research and conservation programmes and to educating and inspiring their visitors to do the same.
BIAZA is a member of both the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA), and the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) and through this network our members collaborate on a global scale to further conservation science, natural history and environmental education and animal welfare.
Facts & figures:
- 30 million people visit BIAZA collections every year
- Our zoos and aquariums deliver formal education sessions on site for more than 1 million children and students
- More than 1,400 research projects are supported by our members, ranging from training projects for undergraduate students to published work from postgraduates
- BIAZA members actively support more than 800 field conservation projects
- Financial contributions to conservation by BIAZA collections equates to approximately £24 million