Paradise Wildlife Park
Our six-month Internship offers a practical work placement within our paddocks section. The successful applicant will be working full-time 8.00 am to 6.00 pm (summer months; 8.00 am to 5.00 pm (winter months), five days a week (including regular weekend work).
The paddock section at Paradise Wildlife Park is a small collection of non-domestic hoofstock such as alpacas, reindeer, lowland tapirs, plains zebra, red deer, hog deer and a bactrian camel. The section also cares for red necked wallabies, emus, mara and red foxes. The paddock section is also responsible for our woodland area on site, including the development of bringing visitors closer to nature. The successful applicant will learn all aspects of husbandry for animals stated above including; restraining large mammals, meeting a variety of specialist nutritional needs, and enrichment.
The paddocks team are also actively involved in the mixed taxa shows on the zoo, where the successful applicant will learn positive reinforcement techniques for species to demonstrate natural behaviours in public displays. Applicants must be 18 years old or over, therefore our internships are well-matched to those taking a gap-year between Further Education and Higher Education, sandwich placements or those who have already graduated from University/College, having studied in a related subject. This internship would suit someone wishing to gain experience as grounds for their first zoo animal keeping position.
This position is voluntary and therefore unpaid. Paradise Wildlife Park are unable to pay travel expenses or provide any accommodation for this position so we recommend applicants to be within suitable travel distance for the duration of this placement. We recognise that this position takes a level of commitment from individuals and therefore we aim for interns to come away with experience that will help them in their future careers. Interns will receive zoo uniform, in-house training, a daily meal voucher, opportunity to complete a portfolio record and a full reference.
• Assisting with daily animal husbandry e.g. food prep, feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision etc.
• General site and enclosure maintenance.
• Undertake and record animal observations (interns are able to carry out specific research projects at the park during this time if this is of interest to them).
• Visitor interaction and delivery of keeper talks, animal shows, encounters and tours (E.g. ‘Shadow a Keeper’)
• Over seeing work experience and volunteers at the direction of the keepers.
• An animal science related qualification.
• Previous animal-related work experience.
• Good communication skills.
• Adaptable for a flexible rota.
• Able to work in a team and independently.
• Physically fit for the demands of this role.
• 18 years +
For more information regarding our internships or to apply please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
Please note that Paradise Wildlife Park also offers internships on our Primates, Small Mammal, Reptile, Large Carnivore and Bird section throughout the year, so look out for future vacancies if those sections are of interest to you.
This opening will close once a suitable candidate has been selected so please send applications as soon as possible.