Bring out the animal in you!
Marketing campaign to encourage children to come to the zoo and relate to animals
The aims of the campaign were to increase awareness of Twycross Zoo and the new children’s attractions and to increase visitor numbers by 12%. In 2008 visitor numbers were 14% down on 2007 and with increased competition from the new Thomas Land at Drayton Manor, Twycross needed to significantly increase its marketing activities.
A budget of 3% of turnover was allocated (£180k for 2009) to the successful agency and an integrated TV, radio, press and viral campaign began in April 2009. The fun and quirky TV, radio and viral campaign focussed on children with the main proposition being ‘Come to Twycross Zoo and bring out the animal in you’.
This was reinforced in our press advertising and promotional materials. Pre and post advertising research was completed in partnership with ITV for the Easter campaign.
The results have been impressive and show that for those that had seen the advertising:
• 97% agreed it would be ‘a fun and enjoyable day out for the family’
• 90% agreed ‘it provides a wide range of things for children to do’
• 79% claimed they were likely to visit the zoo in the future Visitor numbers were up:
• 28% for the full month of April
• 101% for the fortnight Easter holiday period
• 132% over the Easter week
• Google searches were up 130% over the month of April Page 2 of 5
• Website visits exceeded 50,000 unique visits in April.
WINNER of BIAZA Award 2009 for Best marketing project - Amanda Alabaster Award