Wow! Gorillas - 175
Celebrating 175 years of Bristol Zoo Gardens
In 2011, Bristol Zoo celebrated its 175th birthday. A key theme was to remind people of Bristol Zoo’s long-standing connection with the community and to ‘give something back’ by sharing a city-wide birthday present – ‘Wow! Gorillas’.
Wow! Gorillas was a free public art trail across Bristol and beyond, which saw 63 life-size, gorilla sculptures, painted by local artist, placed on the city’s streets for the public to enjoy. There were also 99 mini Wow! Gorillas sponsored by local schools and nurseries.
Bristol Zoo worked in partnership with Bristol City Council and Destination Bristol to display the gorillas for 10 weeks over the summer.
The PR opportunities for the Zoo’s birthday and the Wow! Gorillas campaign were numerous & significant. It was important to plan thoroughly the PR for the campaign as we were working with more than 60 organisations – all of which wanted to do their own PR.
It was also important to maintain a flexible approach as the project evolved & gained momentum and its level of popularity with the press and public became apparent.
The resulting campaign was a huge success, generating more press coverage than any campaign the Zoo has ever run, including:
- 39 televised news broadcasts
- Total print AVE (advertising value equivalent) of £724,324.15
- Total print ‘PR value’ on Wow! Gorillas = £3.4 million
- Total newspaper print circulation = 12.9 million
- Total radio air time: 50 minutes 44 seconds.
- Total radio opportunities to hear (OTH) = 11,793,000.
- Total number of radio broadcasts: over 35
Bristol Zoo Gardens
COMMENDATION received in BIAZA Awards 2012 for Best Public Relations Project