BIAZA is proud to announce the winners of the annual BIAZA awards for 2020, during an unprecedented year for zoos and aquariums.
The winners showcase a huge range of important and exciting projects worked on by BIAZA zoos and aquariums, and the annoucement comes at an immensely challenging time for these conservation organisations - after months of closures they are fighting to recover from the impacts of the Coronavirus.
The winning projects cover a range of ten different categories, with awards being announced each week during the month of September via the BIAZA Facebook page.
Winners announced so far can be found below:
Animal Husbandry, Care and Breeding Category:
- Belfast Zoo – “François’ Langur: Breeding Success” – BRONZE
- Bristol Zoo Gardens – “Breeding success in a captive born generation of pygmy slow loris” – BRONZE
- Wildwood Trust – “Rehabilitating two rescued European Brown Bears through captive torpor, a natural environment and social integration.” – SILVER
- ZSL London Zoo – “Husbandry advances for tree monitors” – SILVER
- Shaldon Wildlife Trust, Wildplanet Trust – Newquay Zoo, Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens – “Operation Save Our Civets – BIAZA zoos collaborating to conserve an endangered species” – SILVER
- Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust/Chester Zoo – “Development of a novel anaesthesia technique in a critically endangered anuran: Mountain chicken frog (Leptodactylus fallax)” – GOLD
- Twycross Zoo – “An institutional development programme to advance wound management in primates via positive reinforcement training” – GOLD
- Chester Zoo – “A holistic approach to improving Rhinoceros Hornbill (Buceros rhinoceros) care & breeding at Chester zoo.” – GOLD
Behaviour and Welfare Category:
- Wildwood Trust – “Comparing the frequency of stereotypical behaviour in captive brown bears Ursus arctos arctos at the Wildwood Trust.” – BRONZE
- Twycross Zoo – “Zoo keepers develop Qualitative Behaviour Assessment as a welfare assessment tool at Twycross Zoo” – SILVER
- Paradise Wildlife Park – “Utilising Control as a Primary Reinforcer in the Husbandry and Presentation of Raptor Species” – SILVER
- Bristol Zoo Gardens – “CENTROP Improvements” – SILVER
- ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo – “Development of an events monitoring programme” – GOLD
- ZSL London Zoo – “Giving Okapi Okapia johnstoni choice in exhibit utilisation throughout a 24-hour period: its effect on behaviour, stereotyping and enclosure usage.” – GOLD
- Twycross Zoo – “Capacity building and first successful reintroduction of Geoffroy's spider monkeys (Ateles geoffroyi) in Belize” – SILVER
- Chester Zoo – “Nature Reserve at Chester Zoo” – SILVER
- Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, WWT Slimbridge – “Saving the Madagascar pochard” – GOLD
- Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust – “The Agile Frog Project – ensuring the future of a local amphibian species on Jersey” – GOLD
- Belfast Zoo – “Science Behind the Zoo” – BRONZE
- The Deep – “IUCN Red List assessment training for University of Hull” - BRONZE
- Paradise Wildlife Park – “HEART Project” – Bronze
- Wildwood Trust – “Night Tours” – BRONZE
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park – “Employability Day” – SILVER
- RZSS – “Biodiversity (Secondary Lesson)” – SILVER
- Knowsley Safari – “Zoo-scription: Safari Park Health Initiatives” – SILVER
- Twycross Zoo – “Training the next generation of wild animal health professionals” - SILVER
- ZSL London Zoo – “Leonard Cheshire and ZSL 'Can Do' Programmes Collaboration” - SILVER
- Galway Atlantaquaria – “One Small Change” – GOLD
- Blackpool Zoo – “Future Zoo” – GOLD
- Galway Atlantaquaria, Tayto Park, Dublin Zoo, Secret Valley Wildlife Park, Fota Wildlife Park, Oceanworld Dingle – “National STEM Collaboration; working together to promote BIAZA Conservation Education to the Junior Cycle Teachers in Ireland.” – GOLD
Congratulations to all!
NewsHelp needed for zoos facing worst winter in memory 14th September, 2020BIAZA is calling on Government to take immediate action as zoos and aquariums face the worst financial winter in memory. Following the impact of the coronavirus…
NewsGreen Recovery Challenge Fund Launched 14th September, 2020The new £40million Green Recovery Challenge Fund has been launched today, aiming to kick-start the nation’s green recovery from the coronavirus (COVID-19)…
NewsBIAZA Annual Awards 2020 winners announced 13th September, 2020BIAZA is proud to announce the winners of the annual BIAZA awards for 2020, during an unprecedented year for zoos and aquariums.