BIAZA, the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums, is urging members of the public to write to their MP to take action to protect elephants across the world.
The association has launched its campaign on World Elephant Day, in response to the needs of elephants all across the world in low-welfare and inhumane conditions.
BIAZA zoos and safari parks are world leaders in elephant-care and engage in countless projects to conserve elephants in the wild and improve the lives of elephants everywhere, including:
- Cutting edge research to improve elephant health and survival at Chester Zoo
- State-of-the-art elephant homes such as at Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm
- Creating and protecting elephant habitats in India, supported by Dublin Zoo
- Sharing skills of Longleat Safari Park’s elephant experts with Mahouts to improve the lives of elephants in human care across south east Asia
- Pioneering scientific research to prevent human-elephant conflict at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
BIAZA is now asking YOU to help.
The UK Government has promised legislation that could help elephants across the world by banning the advertising of low-welfare animal activities. By asking your MP to stand up for elephants you can help this law protect elephants wherever they are.
BIAZA has created a simple and easy way for you to write to your MP.
The steps are simple:
- Download the template letter below and include your details.
- Find your MP’s contact details here.
- Email or print and post your letter to your MP
- Share on social media and encourage others to sign up using #WorldElephantDay and sharing the link to this page.
Top tips: Make sure you include your constituency address to ensure your MP takes notice! Include personal reasons you support this campaign.
Dr Jo Judge, the CEO of BIAZA said: “I can think of no better way of marking World Elephant Day than by calling on the Government to act for elephants. Good zoos and safari parks want a world where elephants everywhere are thriving. Help us to create a better world for elephants.”
Download the template letter here:
NewsBIAZA Photo Competition 2023 - the stand-out comedic photos 6th December, 2023Last week, we announced the winning images of our 2023 photography competition, and with five-hundred glorious entries we didn't want to just…
NewsBlog: Otters, social media and how zoos can change unethical social media habits 6th December, 2023Lizzy Humphries, Senior Keeper at Battersea Park Children's Zoo, writes about the role of zoos to educate on welfare portrayals on social media: Cute…
NewsFoxes with oversized ears make 1,500 mile journey to new home 6th December, 2023A pair of Fennec Foxes have arrived at their new home just outside Evesham, following a 1,500 mile trip from their former home in Hungary. The two brothers…