Criteria: Accredited Associate membership is for private collections of exotic animals that are not open to the public and therefore do not require a zoo licence. All applicants are subject to a BIAZA inspection within 12 months of applying to become members and all Accredited Associate members are then inspected every three years. Please be aware that all applications must be supported by two sponsors who are CEO or Directors of a Full Member. You can find a list of our zoos and aquariums here where you can search to find members that are located near to you.
N.B. This category of Membership is not open to those who own or hold animals as a function of their business and animal dealers are strictly prohibited in accordance with our Animal Transfer Policy.
- Strength in numbers: Maximum effectiveness is achieved through cooperation and the Association facilitates the bringing together of the best organisations within Britain and Ireland.
- Status: As an Association member you will belong to an organisation whose standards are of high repute.
- Legislative support: The Association acts as a communication channel between our members and civil servants and politicians responsible for formulating policy and legislation at national and European Community level. BIAZA responds to government consultations on behalf of the membership and ensures the interests of our members are represented.
- Shared resources, knowledge and expertise: By becoming a member you have the opportunity to participate in all our meetings, conferences and working groups, and can access the technical expertise of other members.
- International affiliation: BIAZA is an active and influential component of an international network of more than 1,000 zoological establishments. The work and importance of this network is recognised and endorsed by the major conservation bodies, most notably the IUCN.
- Training: The Association is the lead body of the steering group that oversees the Diploma in the Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals, currently provided by Sparsholt College Hampshire. We also organise additional training courses for members as needs arise.
The 2021 rate is:
£163 + 20% VAT = £195.84
Whilst the inspection process is free, potential and existing members are asked to cover the travel costs of the inspectors.