Under Construction Associate
This category is for a site/organisation/company who are an animal attraction who do not house exotic animals (or house a small number but are not yet required to have a zoo licence) but who are intending to expand their collection and apply for a zoo licence.
Applicants are required to follow the criteria listed below:
- To allow the premises to be inspected by BIAZA under the same conditions as the inspection under the Zoo Licensing Act.
- To pay BIAZA such fees as may be determined for each such inspection
- To make available to BIAZA such information as may be required to calculate the annual subscription for membership.
- Strength in numbers: Maximum effectiveness is achieved through cooperation and the Association facilitates the bringing together of the best organisations within Britain and Ireland.
- Status: As an Association member you will belong to an organisation whose standards are of high repute.
- Legislative support: The Association acts as a communication channel between our members and civil servants and politicians responsible for formulating policy and legislation at national and European Community level. BIAZA responds to government consultations on behalf of the membership and ensures the interests of our members are represented.
- Shared resources, knowledge and expertise: By becoming a member you have the opportunity to participate in all our meetings, conferences and working groups, and can access the technical expertise of other members.
- International affiliation: BIAZA is an active and influential component of an international network of more than 1,000 zoological establishments. The work and importance of this network is recognised and endorsed by the major conservation bodies, most notably the IUCN.
- Training: The Association is the lead body of the steering group that oversees the Diploma in the Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals, currently provided by Sparsholt College Hampshire. We also organise additional training courses for members as needs arise.
Membership rates per annum, commencing the date membership is ratified, are calculated based on predicted visitor numbers of 50,000. If the Under Construction Associate member then receives a zoo licence they will need to reapply for Full Membership and the subscription fees will be adjusted accordingly.
2021 rate: £17.19 per 1,000 paying visitors and £50 per 1,000 members*
*Please note that for the year of joining, the rate for the remainder of the calendar year is charged. Rates for membership are subject to inflation. VAT is added to all rates.